In our modern, fast-paced world, many of us have come to wear “busy” as a badge of honor. We are constantly rushing from one thing to another, trying to knock out our never-ending to-do lists and wishing we had more hours in our days. Oftentimes we end up stretching ourselves so thin that our health and wellbeing start to suffer. As if that wasn’t bad enough, one of the first things we tend to give up when we’re overly busy is sleep. In fact, according to the Sleep Foundation, more than one third of US adults get less than 7 hours of sleep per night.
Sure, we’ve all heard that sleep is important but, if you’re like many of us, figuring out how to actually achieve a healthy and practical sleep routine seems more difficult than getting a toddler to eat their vegetables! It’s enough to make many of us give up on the dream of good sleep but what if I told you that sleep is actually a major key in maximizing productivity as well as keeping our brains and bodies healthy, and that with some small changes and the help of a few natural products you could transform your sleep hygiene? Sounds pretty good, right? Read on to learn more!
As it turns out, there are really 3 components to a healthy sleep routine.
- Quantity of Sleep – How many hours are you spending in bed asleep? While the recommended amount of sleep we need changes over time depending on our age, total time asleep is extremely important to a healthy routine.
- Quality of Sleep – How much deep sleep are you getting? How much uninterrupted sleep are you getting? Studies show that quality of sleep may be even more important than quantity of sleep!
- Consistency of Schedule – Do you have consistent sleep and wake times? Our bodies were designed for consistent sleep schedules and produce hormones each day in preparation for sleeping and waking. Keeping a consistent schedule helps our body know when to start releasing these hormones.
Tips for Better Sleep:
Achieving a healthy sleep routine starts with figuring out exactly how much sleep you need. Having this information allows you to calculate what time you need to go to bed to get your desired amount of shut eye.
Since it can be difficult to transition from “on-the-go mode” to “sleep mode,” it can be extremely helpful to set a “wind-down” timer about 30 minutes prior to when you want to go to sleep. This timer signals that it’s time to turn off technology like phones and tv’s, opt for lamps rather than bright overhead lights, get into cozy pajamas, shower or bathe, brush teeth, start to cool your bedroom to create an ideal sleeping environment, etc.
This is a great time to start utilizing some natural products to help your body transition into a relaxed, restful state. Two of our favorite essential oils for this are Lavender and Frankincense.
When it comes to boosting your sleep naturally, Lavender is one of the best and most popular choices to turn to! Chances are, just thinking about Lavender makes you feel a bit more calm, happy, and relaxed. Many of us have positive associations with this popular purple plant known for its sweet smell and soothing properties.
Lavender has been used for centuries as something of a natural medicine to help with a wide range of ailments from stomach aches to bug bites and so much more in between. Our ancestors knew the power of Lavender from experience, but in recent years it has been the subject of countless studies that have confirmed the science behind why it works so well.
One of its most popular uses is for helping with sleep. It has long been known for its ability to help individuals relax and more easily fall into a peaceful slumber. This is largely thanks to its anxiolytic (anxiety reducing) and sedative properties. Recent studies suggest that inhaling lavender can help send calming signals to the brain thanks to a compound found in the essential oil called linalool. As lavender works to quiet the brain and nervous system, our bodies naturally transition into a more relaxed state, priming us to fall more easily asleep. Some studies even suggest that lavender may play a role in increasing the amount of deep sleep we get, which is critical for helping to heal and restore our bodies as well as enhance our immune systems.
There are so many fun, simple ways to start adding Lavender into your evening routine. Here are some of our favorites!
- Lavender Essential Oil: This is a favorite among lavender connoisseurs! Our pure lavender essential oil can be diffused to transform your bedroom into a serene and stress-free retreat.
- Lavender Essential Oil Roll-On: Take the relaxing power of lavender with you anywhere with this handy roll-on! Keep it by your bedside for nightly applications before bed.
- Lavender Soaking Salts: Soak away your stress with a bedtime bath using lavender soaking salts. The Epsom salts are great for soothing the body while the aromatic lavender experience helps to relax the mind.
- Lavender Shower Bomb: Create your own steamy spa-like experience with the relaxing aroma of lavender!
- Lavender Refreshing Spray: Give your pillow a spritz before you lay down for some shut-eye and feel your body relax as you breathe in the light lavender scent.
- Lavender Tub Truffle: Nothing says it’s time to relax more than a warm bath and a luxurious lavender tub truffle!
Another fantastic essential oil known for helping to promote a good night’s sleep is Frankincense. This ancient oil is widely known as being one of the gifts brought to Jesus by the Wise Men, and its easy to see why it was such a highly valued commodity!
Frankincense comes from the resin of the Boswellia tree and has a unique scent. It contains warm, woodsy, and earthy tones with underlying hints citrus and spice. Nicknamed the “King of Oils,” Frankincense is known for an incredible range of benefits. Check out our Frankincense blog here to learn more!
Many people consider it to be a calming oil that helps to calm the mind and muscles, putting the body into a more relaxed state. The promotion of a state of calm, peace, and balance may help to promote better sleep in many individuals.
- Frankincense Essential Oil: This pure, certified organic oil is great for some relaxing evening aromatherapy! Put a few drops into your diffuser and feel the stress melt away.
- Frankincense Essential Oil Roll-On: Enjoy the peaceful power of Frankincense anywhere with this convenient roll-on!
These natural essential oils are a great addition to any bedtime routine! Other simple, but effective, ways to help make sure you get your sleep schedule on track include avoiding caffeine after 3PM, utilizing blue light blocking glasses later in the day, trying out a sound machine, and making yourself a warm, relaxing bedtime tea!